Faculty Member Procedure
For providing accommodations to Students with Disabilities
If a student from your class is requesting accommodations for his/her final exam, please follow these steps:
- Ensure the student has completed the accommodations procedure that was outlined for tests/in-class assignments. (Outlined here)
- If the student hasn’t requested accommodations for test/in-class assignments, but is requesting it for final exams, he/she should present you with an Accommodation Letter from the Learning Centre.
If the student does not present an Accommodation Letter, please inform the student that he/she must schedule an appointment with Lorna Payne at the Learning Centre. (637-6268)
- Keep the copy of the Accommodation Letter for your records.
- The student will be contacted by the Student Affairs Officer, prior to his/her final exam dates, and given the location of his/her exam and his/her start time. The Student Affairs Officer will e-mail a copy of the final exam schedule to all professors that have students writing with accommodations. This is where you will receive the dates and times when your students with be writing. NOTE: For extra time purposes, the student may be scheduled to start his/her exam earlier than the class. In these cases, the student must remain in the exam writing area at least 30 minutes past the usual class start time, regardless of what time he/she is finished.
- Copies of your final exam should be made available to the Registrar’s Office at least 48 hours before the final exam date. The Student Affairs Officer will retrieve a copy/copies of your final exam in order to administer it to your student with exam accommodations.
- If a student requires his/her exam to be available in an alternate format (larger font, coloured paper, electronic copy, etc.), the professor must present a copy of his/her final exam in this format to the Registrar’s Office within the 48 hour timeframe. Any request for alternate format would be detailed on the Blue Form/Accommodation Letter.
- During the exam, we encourage all faculty members to check into your student's assigned exam room at some point to see if the student has any questions.
- All final exams will be returned to the Registrar’s Office on the same day the exam is written.
INFORMATION RELEASE FORM = Blue