Students who wish to study Business at Grenfell Campus may choose one of two programs:
PLEASE NOTE: Program requirements for both the BBA and the business minor programs at Grenfell differ from business program requirements on Memorial's St. John's campus. If you have any questions about these differences, please feel free to contact the Office of the Registrar or the Program Chair.
Bachelor of Business Administration
(If you were admitted to the BBA program prior to Fall 2011, please check with the Program Chair to plan your program.)
- The Bachelor of Business Administration requires a total of 120 credit hours (40 courses). Candidates for graduation must achieve a grade point average of at least 2.5 and an overall numeric average of at least 60% on those 120 credit hours.
- Students must complete 75 credit hours as follows:
a) Economics 2010 and 2020
b) Six credit hours in first year English which must include English 1110*
c) Mathematics 1000
d) Statistics 2500
e) Business 1000, 1101, 1210, 1600, 2010, 2101, 2210, 2400, 2700, 3310, 3401,
4000, 4050, 4320, 4330, 4500, 5301, 7000, and 7010
*Students who have received credit for both English 1000 and 1001 prior to Fall 2011 will not be required to complete English 1110.
- Students must complete 15 credit hours from one of the following areas of concentration:
a) Contemporary Business Studies
i. 9 credit hours as follows: Business 3350, 5302, and 7050
ii. 6 credit hours chosen from: Business 3101, 5220, 5500, 5600, Economics 3150
b) Small Business and Entrepreneurship
i. 9 credit hours as follows: Business 5220, 5600, and 7600
ii. 6 credit hours chosen from: Business 3210, 6500, 6600, 6610, and 7610
- Students must complete an additional 30 credit hours to make up the total 120 credit hours requierd for the degree of BBA. When selecting these courses, students are reminded that the Core Requirements for a Grenfell degree program must be met. In addition, if students choose to complete a minor within the BBA program, they are advised to choose their electives carefully so that they will also meet the requirements for the chosen Minor program as set forth in the University Calendar.
Minor from another Academic Unit
Students enrolled in the BBA program are not required to complete minor programs; however, students may choose to pursue a minor in other non-business academic units (where minor programs exist) with permission of that academic unit.
Students are advised to refer to the requirements for the chosen Minor program as set forth in the University Calendar, and it is recommended that students seek academic advice when planning their program.
Minor in Business
- Students completing a minor in Business must declare their intent to do so on Grenfell's DECLARATION/CHANGE OF ACADEMIC PROGRAM form, which then must be approved by the Chair of the Business Program. This form is available at the Office of the Registrar or online at www.grenfell.mun.ca/regoff/Pages/Forms.aspx.
- A minor in Business consists of 24 credit hours. Students must complete 18 credit hours as follows: Business 1000, 1101, 1210, 3310, 4500, and 7010. The remaining 6 credit hours must be chosen from Business 1600, 2101, 2210, 3350, 4000, 4050, 4320 or 5302 (the former 7302).
- Course prerequisites to all Business courses will apply to a Business minor. Student should note, for example, that the prerequisites for Business 4500 are Business 1101, Statistics 2500 and Economics 2010, and that enrolment in Business 7010 requires permission of the Chair of Business. It should also be noted that some courses are not offered every semester.
BA (Tourism Studies) Students Please Note:
- Since you must complete Business 1000 as a part of your Tourism Studies major program, you cannot "double count" this course to also satisfy the requirements of the Business minor program; if you wish to minor in business you must choose an additional credit from Regulation 2 (above).
- Since Business 1210 is credit restricted with your required Tourism Studies 2201, you must also choose Business 2010, 2700, or 3350 as a substitute for Business 1210.