Current Research by Core Faculty
- Analysis and comparison of public policies on environmental problems.
Social science risk research in the context of public policy, in particular environmental policy.
Public policy towards sustainability.
Inter- and trans-disciplinary research on environmental problems.
- International and global governance instutitions, structures and processes
- Role and relevance of non-state actors and public-private partnerships
- Transformation from state-centric to poly-centric governance of public policy making
- Discourse, deliberation and participation
- Adaptive and integrative capacity in environmental governance and management
Fish stock assessment
Rehabilitation of inland fisheries
Aquatic resource management planning
Adaptive governance approaches and institutional arrangement in inland fisheries management
Application of structured decision making to inland fisheries management
- International and comparative political economy
- Political ecology
- Development and environmental change (e.g. fisheries)
- Environmental politics and policy
- Market-oriented environmental policy and governance (e.g. eco-certification and eco-labeling
- Global environmental governance
- Sustainable rural, community and regional development
- Rural resilience
- Community involvement in resource management
- Local and regional governance
- Community adaptation
- Complex adaptive social-ecological systems
- Innovation, green economies and community-corporate relations.
Current Research by Associated Faculty
- Economics of Food Safety and Supply Chain Management
- Is Newfoundland and Labrador Eating Locally Grown Produce?
- Advances in Traceability System: Consumer Attitudes toward Development of Integration Traceability
- Methods and Quality Control Systems for the Farmed Atlantic Salmon
- Consumer Perceptions toward Foods with Fat Contents
Economics of Biotechnology
- Modeling Stochastic Semi-parametric Frontiers using the Generalized Additive Theory
- Comparing Nonparametric to Parametric Interaction Terms in Generalized Additive Models: Production Technology in the Canadian Cable Television Industry
- Non-parametric Estimates of Technology using Generalized Additive Models: The Case of the Canadian Cable Television Industry
International Trade Policy Education
- The Transition of the Old Economy Regions to the New Economy: The Role of Biotechnology as a Knowledge-Based Technology
- The Conjectural Variations Approach and the Model of Regional-Intellectual Property Rights: A Case Study for Iran
Economic Analysis of Industrial Research Projects
- The Future of International Trade Organizations: Looking Ahead
Economics of Technology
- An Economic Analysis of Synthesizing Novel Polymers using Environmentally Friendly Methods
- Producers' Willingness-to-Adopt New Technology: A Case Study of Canola Producers in Manitoba
- Preparing new edition of Democracy, Diversity, and Good Government
- Preparing new edition of Politics, Power, and the Common Good
- Evaluating Canadian public policy in terms of social, economic, and environmental sustainability
- Key political dilemmas
- Exploring traditional spiritual views about the human relationship to the earth and their role in reframing our attitude to nature in a post religious world.
- Mindfulness in nature. Developing workshops to help individuals understand their place in the natural world.
- Sustainable development
Common pool resources management
- Conceptualizing sustainable development as a principle of social continuity of life on earth.
- Sustainable development through renewable energy: Iceland’s experience with geothermal energy.
- Design of the GRI (Global Reporting Initiative) level three sustainability reporting framework.
Community based natural resource governance
- Restoring the Newfoundland and Labrador fishery
- Ecological and social consequences of the ITQ in Iceland cod fishery
- A demand-side approach to water management in Western Newfoundland
Environmental policy analysis
- Identifying environmental values changes in the Humber River Basin, NL
- Global networking for saving world small-scale fisheries
- Comments on NL provincial government strategy for climate change
- The political economy of the international financial system
International organizations and crisis politics
- Global financial governance: the role and politics of the G8/G20, IMF and the EU.
- International financial crises: the politics and consequence of crisis response.
The interplay of economic and security policy
- The interplay of states, IOs, transnational and domestic actors during crises.
- The effect of crises on the development of global governance.
- The nature of economic interdependence under globalization and its impact on inter- and intra-state conflict.
- The influence of markets and non-state actors on the formation of foreign and economic policy.