The Environmental Policy Institute (EPI) is an initiative of Grenfell Campus, Memorial University, dedicated to researching and facilitating debate on critical environmental policy issues within the province of Newfoundland and Labrador, with a focus on climate change, energy and related issues. This includes analyzing current environmental policies, exploring innovative solutions, conducting, co-ordinating and disseminating research widely to both academic and general public audiences and developing provincial capacity in environmental policy.
EPI has been very active hosting multiple guest speakers, facilitating numerous workshops, and participating in various university and government consultations.
Current initiatives include:
- EPI is offering a new "Master of Arts in Environmental Policy" program at Grenfell (the only program of its type in Canada). Check out the MAEP web link at the left side of this page.
- Conducting major research projects in food security and forest policy
- Organizing Green Books events, a province-wide environmental book club
- Developing environmental policy briefs and policy submissions to "translate" scholarly research on environmental policy into a more accessible public format
- Facilitating workshops on environmental issues and environmental research topics
- Creating the Environmental Atlas of Newfoundland and Labrador in collaboration with the Geospatial Research Facility at the College of the North Atlantic, Corner Brook campus.