The Major consists of 42 credit hours including an English Core and one of four possible concentrations. Students must complete 24 credit hours in specific core courses which include Introduction to Literature, Literary Survey, Shakespeare, History of the English Language, and Literary Theory. Students must also complete 18 credit hours in one of the following concentrations: Canadian Literature, Dramatic Literature, Modern Literature, or a combination of these three.
- English 1000 (Intro. to Literature I) and 1001 (Intro. to Literature II) or equivalent
- English 2005 (Lit. Survey I), 2006 (Lit. Survey II), 2007 (Lit. Survey III), 3205 (Shakespeare Survey) or 3206 (Shakespeare and the Classical Tradition), 3395 (Literary Uses of English) , 4105 (Critical Approaches and Theory)
1. Canadian Literature Concentration
English 2146 (Canadian Fiction after 1949), 4950 (Individual Project in English) and 12 credit hours in Canadian Literature from the following selection: English 2155 (Newfoundland Literature), 2156 (Canadian Short Stories), 3145 (Canadian Prose to 1949), 3147 (Canadian Poetry to 1949), 3148 (Canadian Poetry after 1949), 3149 (Canadian Prose), 4307 (Contemporary Canadian Drama), 4825-35 (Special Topics in Canadian Literature).
2. Dramatic Literature Concentration
English 2350 (Intro. to Drama I), 2351 (Intro. to Drama II), 3275 (Modern Drama - 1830-1930), 4950 (Individual Project in English) and six credit hours in Dramatic Literature from the following selection: English 3021 (English Drama to 1580), 3171 (Anglo-Irish Drama), 3181 (Drama of the Restoration and 18th Century), 3205 (Shakespeare Survey) or 3206 (Shakespeare and the Classical Tradition)--whichever course has not been used to fulfil the requirements of the English Core--, 4302 (Contemporary British Drama), 4305 (Contemporary Drama), 4307 (Contemporary Canadian Drama), 4308 (20th Century American Drama), 4316 (Advanced Shakespeare), 4317 (Elizabethan-Jacobean Drama), 4836-44 (Special Topics in Drama).
3. Modern Literature Concentration
English 3215 (20th Century American Lit.), 3216 (20th Century British and Irish Lit.), 4950 (Individual Project in English) and nine other credit hours in Modern Literature from the following selection: English 2215 (American Lit. to 1900), 2242 (Science Fiction), 2705 (Modern World Lit. in Translation), 2805 (Women's Writing to 1900), 2870 (Children's Literature), 3810 (20th Century Non-Fiction Writing by Women), 3275 (Mod. Drama), 3905 (Creative Writing), 4245 (Contemporary Fiction in English), 4246 (Contemporary Poetry in English), 4302 (Contemporary British Drama), 4308 (20th Century American Drama), 4905 (Advanced Creative Writing).
4. Combined Concentration
A total of eighteen credit hours from English Concentration Courses which must include:
At least six credit hours from one of three concentrations (Canadian, Dramatic, Modern) as specified below and an English 4950 project within the area chosen:
Canadian Literature 2146 and at least three additional credit hours in this concentration
Dramatic Literature 2350 or 2351 and at least three additional credit hours in this concentration
Modern Literature 3215 or 3216 and at least three additional credit hours in this concentration.
- At least three credit hours from each of the other two concentrations.
: To complete the English degree, students must fulfill the requirements of the SWGC B.A. These include the Core Requirements
for a Grenfell Campus degree program (Clause 4).
- Six credit hours at 1000 level in English
- Six credit hours chosen from English 2005, 2006 and 2007
- Three credit hours chosen from English 3205 or 3206
- Nine additional credit hours in English electives; 3 credit hours must be chosen from courses having an initial digit "3" or "4"